Sign in to follow this  
JASMIINE

Help me out Nomads!

JASMIINE   

i was wondering if u guys could help me out: i need to know what thyroid or thyroid problems mean in somali.

i'll appreciate any suggestions. Thanks

Baashi   

Jasmine,

thyroid = qaamo

thyroid problem = qanjir barar (Northern Somalia) or qaamo qashiir (Southern Somalia). The description I just gave u in Somali is the one associated with the thyroid gland (qanjir). I could be wrong though. Hope someone in this forum give you the formal translation of this medical term.

Good luck.

Sky   

hell i dont even know what thyroid is, let alone translate that shit into somali.

Saabir   

Dear Baashe, Thyroid is a Qanjir/Qanjidh but the question is what's the name of that gland(Qanjidh) in Somali!!. The one you are talking about is different than the thyroid gland, that's called parotid gland which is situated below each ear.

Thyroid gland is situated on Adam's apple, so would it be in Somali Qanjirka Hunguriga!!!, I can be wrong.

Paragon   

^^^ I think you are right there Saabir. But I somehow I cannot remember what was the name for it. However, qanjir is applied to many other glands.

8966.jpg

Here is Qanjir/Qanjidh

palatine-tonsil.jpg

Curly   

No baashi, I think you'll find that in north Somalia the when the thyroid expands due to hyperthyroidism it is called a fiix (fiih).

And in English the enlarged thyroid is called goiter.

NinBrown   

Qanjir=gland.

Recently worked in Somalia and they reffered to Goiter (which is enlargement of the thyroid gland) as buro.

what i normally do is just explain what the organ/gland does...and it usually works.

hope this helps.

Baashi   

I stand corrected. Many thanks Saabir.

We're all trying to help Ms. Jasmine. I'm sure she is familiar with this subject. All she wants is what does the term mean in Somali.

Now we al least agree this much: Gland is qanjir/qanjidh in Somali. Thyroid is a gland and hence Thyroid is a qanjir/qanjidh. I think that helps.

I for one don't know one Somali term that can be used to translate thyroid. The one I provided as Saabir correctly pointed out is for parotid (I'm not even sure that's the right one). This brings home the difficult and inadequecies Somali language has when it comes to the especialized higly developed areas in Science and Legal professions. Jasmine if I were u I would heed the advice bro Brown has given u when he said that use the term qanjir/qanjidh and add brief explanation of what it does in terms of functionality. That will do it for u.

Sue, I'm nit sure if I agree with u on fiix. I know there is this word feex that is used for some sort of ka soo bax that is permanent. the feex and buro are two different things lest u confuse the two. Not to mention bararka or badhadhka or the enlargement glands are known to experience in their ubnormal or if u will sick state.

J.Lee   

^^^Thyroid is also a cartilage therefore, it can't just be called Qanjir/Qanjidh or a gland. Besides, it's referred to as Fiix in af Somali like Sue stated.

jumataata!! that aint bad bro!! i was trying to blast these ppl whoo claim to be nomads but they dont know AF Somali!!

Ganjid WAXUU KU YALAALA DUUNTAADAH!! DUUNTO IDHIIN GODAY!! :mad: redface.gif waar daqankiin barta!!

dont like souless ppl!!

JASMIINE   

Wow! Thank you so much guys, i truly appreciate all of ur efforts.

Baashi,

I knew thyroid was related to Qanjir, but like j'maal11 pointed out thyroid gland is not located in our qanjir, so it seems like we call qanjir any gland, there's really no differentiation between different glands. thanks for the visualization smile.gif J'maal11.

Nin_Brown

thanks for ur advice, i think i'll make use of it.

Saabir

thanks for eloquently putting what i was trying to say. But, in somali whenever we think about Qanjir the vision that automically comes to mind is the below the ears. We dont think about the Hunguri, so it will be hard to explain to anyone qanjirka hunguriga.

Sue/Msword

i never heard of the word fiix. am trying to put that in a sentence but i burst out laughing everything time i try to do it :D ...but it is all good, u learn something new every day, thanks guys.

Now, see if we can come up with the translation for metabolism problems associated with thyroid :confused:

One more thing.... u guys know how to translate court "hearing" or appeal "hearing" in somali? smile.gif