Sign in to follow this  
RedSea

Position of Islam on Valentines Day.

RedSea   

Assalamu Calaykum,

Brothers and sisters as most of you are aware today is Valentines Day or the day of Love. However, the reason that I have brought this topic is to remind ourselves on what we should do in Valentines Day; the answer is nothing, because it doesn't concern us as Muslims or as Somalis in general.

Basically Valentines Day is day that has been cripled together by probably crazy drunk western guy who fell in love with some wild and crazy woman and therefore this marks their anniversary. So it's a shame when some of us ignore our faith and practice and do something that is practiced by the disbelievers such Valentines Day.

We are as Muslims are supposed to ask ourselves whether something is allowed or prohibited by our religion in every matter. So you ask what is Islam position on Valentines Day?

http://www.halganews.com/content/view/1896/2/

Assalamu Calaykum.

RedSea   

Assalamu Calaykum,

Urban yaa kuu xalaaleyey and Zafir yaa kugu haysta Urban and is she/he even a female, because that Avater is a bit disturbing? I mean it doesn't have the look of female avater. ;)

Sayyid   

Thank you, walaal Red Sea! But I guess 'this' people will not understand how much you tell them.

They know that valetine is a alien practise, which is prohibited in islaam but they continue.

It's like christmas, easter, thanks giving and halloween etc.

Anyway don't be 'surprised' if they dismiss 'us' as lonely individuals who are 'jeolous' and envious because they can't get a 'girl', that's why they play 'kill-joys' to the rest!

Yes 'kill-joy'!

Loooooool walaalayal stop this hypocracy seriously. Valentine day has nothing to do with christianity just like Thanksgiving and Holoween. If it is anything, it is economical. It is a way to get people consume more goods. The only evidence from the sunna that allows you to refute this islamically is: Go against the kufari's practices but if you apply this principle then you need to immigrate from the west other than that it is nac nac iyo halagaa sheego. Oh.. look my red roses..chocolate.oh and note has arrived! :D Gotta bounce peepz. Happy V day!

--------------------------------------------

Get Up!Up Even the best fall down sometimes

Castro   

^ Yes, Valentines day is a Roman practice and therefore has roots in both how Romans practiced christianity and paganism. It's also forbidden in Islam if, under the excuse of love, forbidden acts are committed. We can joke about it online here but the fact of the matter is, in addition to being a frivolous time and money wasting event, it could be a very dangerous thing to engage in. If you've no problem with this it's up to you. It's best, however, to know the whole story and then act accordingly.

Read the Fatwa here (from my favorite Fatwa site)

Islam teaches us to be truthful and realistic. Usually, we love because of Allah and we hate because of Allah. Islam teaches us that a male and female can build up a good relationship founded on marriage. All those stories of media and movies are not helpful to make a person comply with the teachings of Islam.

We do not say love is halal or haram because it is a feeling. Maybe it is not under control. You can judge what is under control. But people who fall in love are in many episodes away from the cleansed and pure atmosphere.

Marriages that are usually good and lasting marriages are those that start at the least affection. That affection grows after marriage and maybe it will grow until the couples continue their companionship at the Jannah.

If you have any affection towards a person, you should ask yourself: why do you like that person? If you have good Islamic, reasonable justification, then you need not tell that person of what you feel. However, you can make a serious plan to make him ask for your hand. If you want to know the meaning of fitna, a great part of it is what people nowadays call love or romance.

In this context, we'd like to cite the following fatwa that clarifies the Islamic ruling on falling in love:

"If we are speaking about the emotion which we call "love" then we are simply speaking of a feeling. What we feel toward a particular person is not of great importance, until our feeling is expressed in a particular action. Now if that action is permissible, then well and good. If it is forbidden, then we have incurred something that Allah does not approve of. If it is love between a man and a woman, the emotion itself is not the subject of questioning on the Day of Judgment. If you feel you love someone, then you cannot control your feeling. If that love prompts you to try to see that person in secret and to give expression to your feelings in actions permissible only within the bond of marriage then what you are doing is forbidden."

Excerpted, with slight modifications, from: www.islamicity.com

Shedding more light on the issue in point we'd like to cite the words of Sheikh Ahmad Kutty, a senior lecturer and an Islamic scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada. He states:

"In Islam, it is not a sin if you feel a special affinity or inclination towards a certain individual since human beings have no control on such natural inclinations. We are, however, definitely responsible and accountable if we get carried away by such feelings and take specific actions or steps that might be deemed as haram (forbidden).

As far as male and female interaction is concerned, Islam dictates strict rules: It forbids all forms of ‘dating’ and isolating oneself with a member of the opposite sex, as well indiscriminate mingling and mixing.

If, however, one does none of the above, and all that he or she wants is to seriously consider marrying someone, such a thing itself is not considered haram. In fact, Islam encourages us to marry persons for whom we have special feelings and affinity. Thus, Islam recommends that potential marriage partners see one another before proposing marriage. Explaining the reason for such a recommendation, the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said: “That would enhance/foster the bonding.â€

This permission notwithstanding, we are advised against getting carried away by merely the outward appearances of a person; these may be quite misleading. Marriage is a life-long partnership and a person’s real worth is determined not by his or her physical looks, but more so by the inner person or character. Hence, after having mentioned that people ordinarily look for beauty, wealth and family in a marriage partner, the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) advised us to consider primarily “the religious or character factor†over and above all other considerations."

Source

Sayyid   

You don't believe in that sh!t yourself innit?

If you do then surely you must believe in easter rabbits bringing 'you' eggs at night and 'santa' bringing you 'presents' through the chimney of your house/roof.

Don't be 'retarded' and face up to the reality!

Urban   

Originally posted by Red Sea Casse:

Assalamu Calaykum,

Urban yaa kuu xalaaleyey

waclaykum salam

i was just baashaal-ing ^^ smile.gif

and Zafir yaa kugu haysta Urban and is she/he even a female, because that Avater is a bit disturbing?

lol dont let the avator fool you, i'll knock you out. :cool:

jk

RedSea   

Originally posted by Zafir:

Red Sea, Gabadh baanu isku heysanaa, gabadh aan jelecyahay buu iga shukansadey.

I would let Urban decide who she wants to make her partner in life. And Zafir I don't think there is much competition in here, you seem to be the only one who is going crazy over the sister.

Assalamu Calaykum.

RedSea   

Originally posted by the-urban-hang-suite: lol dont let the avator fool you, i'll knock you out. :cool:

Wow sis is that so, don't make me get involve in this though. I don't want to lock horns with Mr. Zafir over you. You might want to prepare yourself for a good respected man that believes in Allah and respects you more so then some of the cyber love doctors. May Allah increase your beauty and talent.

Assalamu Calaykum.