Sign in to follow this  
IL CAPO

Sleep More, Stay Thin.

IL CAPO   

Chicago - Too little sleep could well make you fat while at least seven hours of sleep is good for a slim figure, according to a study conducted by diabetes expert Eve van Cauter of the University of Chicago.

The results of the study, published in the latest edition of the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, show that chronic lack of sleep has a negative effect on the hormone leptin that steers hunger and appetite.

Leptin, that is responsible for building fat cells in the body, signals the brain that it needs more energy or that the appetite has been stilled.

If someone has too little sleep the leptin level sinks telling the body that it is hungry, although the body still has enough available energy.

The person then eats extra calories causing the body to take on weight, the study found.

Leptin levels of persons with less than seven hours of sleep were 19 to 26% lower than those of persons with normal sleep. Some of the men who took part in the experiment ate 1 000 calories more per day as in the week with normal sleep.

"When we have too little sleep we tend to eat more than we need," Eve van Cauter sums up her study.

Other leptin researchers argue that sleep is not the only factor responsible for leptin levels but Cauter contends that the study shows that somebody with a reduced calorie diet will have difficulty reducing weight if he does not sleep enough.

P.S Now you can understand why most Somalis are Skinny because of their lack of sleep.

Peace.

Diamante   

P.S Now you can understand why most Somalis are Skinny because of their lack of sleep.

Peace.

:confused: ...dont u mean the other way round? Correct me if im wrong, but did the study not say that "When we have too little sleep we tend to eat more than we need" ?

---

no wonder i never seem to put on weight (ilahey baana og saan cuntada u daldalo), i sleep for more than 10 hours a day sometimes...i love sleep, i can sleep anywhere! You should all do the same :D

don't wonder Diamante . . . i can see nowadays every think , all the studies made recently are the other way round . . . don't really know what da hell is going on in this world . .