Sign in to follow this  
MAXIMUS POWERS

The ''Refugee'' Mentality

So for most Somalis, contact with the local people is very limited as is their knowledge of British, American, Canadian or even European life and customs.

This is where you went wrong. Most Somalis do have vast knowledge of these cultures and customs and quite obviously, many many of them build professional and personal relationships with these folks but might not have interest in assimilating to these cultures.

NG, leave marx alone. He is a sensitive boy dee :D

Chocolate & Honey,

It’s not an issue of me being sensitive. Many of the people, including yourself who have commented on this issue lack the necessary research methods to carry out research in an objective and a balanced manner. Using anecdotes as a primary source of information is not objective. You need a greater sample of people to get all different perspective of peoples lived experiences. Presumably the people whom you are talking about are professionals but this is a small sample of people. The vast majority of Somalis are not in professional jobs nor have integrated fully as you have mistakenly pointed. NG, fabregas and yourself have no experience in conducting research and most of your ideas are not reflective of the experience of the Somali people in the west. If this was the case then we will all be highly successful and hold professionals jobs and be settled as well being political and economical represented. Yet the majority of Somalis are in low paid jobs, if any and live a life of meagre incomes.

NG, fabregas and yourself have no experience in conducting research and most of your ideas are not reflective of the experience of the Somali people in the west. If this was the case then we will all be highly successful and hold professionals jobs and be settled as well being political and economical represented. Yet the majority of Somalis are in low paid jobs, if any and live a life of meagre incomes.

We have NO experience in conducting a research? Really? I wasnot aware of that. What research have you conducted to conclude that WE three have NO experience? :confused: You overgeneralize and assume too much as usual.

Originally posted by -MARX-:

With all due respect Chock&Honey, what does an office administrater know about conducting research.

lol. You're quite the pretentious lil bugger aint you?

With all due respect Chock&Honey, what does an office administrater know about conducting research.

:eek: :eek: @ that comment. Aww..did I touch a nerve, sensitive boy? :D I will have you know that I hold a B.S degree in literature(and that I am also a high school teacher, thank you very much) but that is besides the point. What this little outburst of yours shows is that you have nothing to back up this sorry-a.s.s-excuse for a topic you've posted here.Walk the walk, my friend. When you say "based" on a research, you better back it up! How did you conduct the research that showed majority of Somalis to be an isolated community with no outside contact? Or were you sitting on you pretty bed one night, your diary at hand(imagines Marx in a satin pajamas with a cigar in his hands surrounded by "important philosophy' books wavingg his hand in the air with self-proclaimed superiority only he can summon up) and thought uhm.. I suppose I could educate this ehem..I mean open a discussion about how all Somalis are one confused,confined,ba ckwarded,welfare-hun gry people who only dream about going home? :confused:

This subject has already been discussed by people who know what they're talking about so look it up.

BTW..I didnt know that office administrators werent allowed to participate in petty discussions based on overgeneralizations and pre-conceived notions about entire cultures?

I will have you know that I hold a B.S degree in literature

Kaama yeelin eedo. Waayo, literature is considered under the humanities category.

BTW, ma classic literature and philosphy degree aa qabtaa mase english language and literature or medieval literature etc?

For a teacher, you have quite a temper.

Lol@kaama yeeling(as if this fact was under discussion). Nice to see you come out of hibernation! I have a B.S degree in English(which would constitute literature and language)degree with a 5-12 teaching licensure.

BTW.. you only classify these studies under humanities when you're looking at a registration catalog to decide which class is offered. No one says I have a degree in humanities for that encompasses a handfull of degrees, kapish!

Somalis are incorrigibly isolationist. We should not advocate for assimilation but to be a functioning segment of the societies we find our selves, integration is a must. I have stopped long ago to be surprised by Somalis, even little children call others Gaal this and Gaalo that for no apparent reason but a wide spread disdain for those around US and perhaps the need of Somalis to reassert their Somalinemo here and there. Especially among large populations of Somalis, Cultural islands are created within societies that basically insure almost zero contact with other member of society. Unfortunate but especially in north America, we are very similar to Mexican immigrants, they can be here a lifetime but can not speak a word of English because they never step outside of that cultural/linguistic bubble they have made for themselves. The difference is that mexico is just south of the border, Somalia is continent away. I have uncle who was a sailer settled in New york in the 60s. As we walked a few blocks one day, I saw this old man greet some Yemenis in Arabic, some South Americans in Spanish, Some black Americans in English all while speaking to me in Somali as if he left Somalia yesterday.

Integration is the key to being successful and treating our neighbors better as a community.

Ibtisam   

C& H :eek: You don't have to explain/ justify yourself to anyone, your education is for you, allah haa kuu baarakeyo.

Lets not making this personal, temper on hold.

Marx: I went to an event on Friday on this issue, they had a section of Somalilanders; identity formation and shifting values of the new generation. I'm surprised you missed it. It was presented by Migrations and Identities Interdisciplinary Research Group, and at least two of the speakers touched on this area. You are heading the semi correct path, but just need to drop and shift a little. I'll send you the link for the abstracts inshallah.

^ I agree, she doesn't have to explain herself but she chooses to explain herself, therefore I want her to explain to me how a humanity discipline can receive an undergraduate degree in the sciences when in fact, the humanity discipline almost always get arts degree, especially literature, unless she has double major and one of them being sciences but I don't think thats the case.

Possible explanations:

A) You attended a state university that does not follow tradition

B) You attained your degree from online university

C) You just love to argue about nothing

D) All of the above :D

NinBrown   

Marx,there is some truth in your analysis in my experience(not research). I find most of my friends and associates are Somali.

I want her to explain to me how a humanity discipline can receive an undergraduate degree in the sciences when in fact, the humanity discipline almost always get arts degree, especially literature, unless she has double major and one of them being sciences but I don't think thats the case.

I have a B.A(I wrote B.S instead of B.A) if that clears anything.

Lol at all your options :D May the real haters stand up? :rolleyes:

Sophist   

Nino Brown, but you're successful and wholly integrated smile.gif

Sorry about earlier, I will call you later on today Insha Allah!.

S