Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

East Africa travellers

hodman   

lool @ wakorinos Farax ur killing me :D am sure the SL people wouldn't appreciate the comparison if they knew what you were talking about :D

People stop knocking on Eastliegh Y'all know that you had the time of your lives dodging the dhiiqo and the police smile.gif

By the way all the electronics sold in downtown come from Eastliegh believe it or not. They just sell at higher prices over there

Now that the dust has somehow settled Im beginning to see the reality on the ground with the number of people always on the increase and ofcouse more choas and police always on the prawl looking for Somalis who are mostly scared of being seized by them for reasons of not possessing legal documents or for looking out of place like I do now. Having heard of the news about thieves taking one on gun point and ofcouse being picked by police without any notice has played alot on my mind. I have thus far been stopped twice now for not looking like the usual folks around the eastleigh area. Once I was with a friend and was suddenly stopped by two uniformed police who said to my friend "we know you but you dont like you are from this area.." I was slightly stunned for being picked out from abunch of Malis roaming the neighbourhood. Yesterday as I came out of my lodge I kinda bumped into my brother who suggested that I went with to this Ethiopian Canjeero place to sample the food so reluctantly I went with him and as we walked passed a throng of people I was suddenly ceased by two guys and as I was stunned I ended up turnning the guy upside down and punching him only to realise I was surrounded by four more and my brother who was walking ahead of me suddenly shouted stop they are plain cloths. So then I knew I Was in trouble of doing what I did so I told them that I was not from the neighbourhood and that I was was stunned as they never showed any form of ID. They took me to their car and suddenly were threatening me by staff like you arrogant just because you are from the UK and that I was a terrorist and working with what is termed here as Mungiki. Damn they said all sorts of things withing the 20 mins. I was in their car. I was told to get all that was in my pockets and then one asked for dollars. Luckily enough I wasnt carrying any money other than forty bucks so I apologised for almost breaking ones wrist and told them to have it. So I was let go. I believe its ajungle over here and anyone who comes here should always look behind their shoulder as its either the police or thieves who pounce on you unnoticed. Im learning to live here now but that kinda spoilt it for me somehow.

Oh by the way I havent got round to downloading the pictures but hopefully will soon...

To be continued.. smile.gif

Paragon   

^^Lol..arrested for injuring a CID officer is a big offence over here :D . Even more to be called 'member' of Al-Qaeda and the Mungiki sect! hmm...there it is for you... your share of Kenyan police brutality. QL, I am sure they pulled out the card that you are behind the nairobi bombing lol these cops are absolute opportunists. Everyone here seems to be a kind of an opportunitist. But hey, look at the brighter side of things smile.gif . Getting out of Nairobi would be a good idea - especially if you don't have good connections. You see, I do :D . Even then, I don't like 'Nairoberry'.

Eastleigh is that part of the town that has more sellers than there are buyers, and more CID officers than all other civil servants put together. In a nutshell, these plain cloth cops are a manace to the Somali community whose only protection is bribery.

will be back..

QL,

pole, for facing such an ordeal with the Kenyan police.Im sad to say, they will continue to harass you, they know who you are and where you come from.they are looking for easy money.

I was in Eastleigh 3 weeks ago I was harrassed by Somalis instead. I dont know if you have noticed Eastleigh has changed to a Small Somalia, every corner you have Somali speaking Somalis and they dont speak swahili. And they have the nerve to tell me off why I dont speak Somali, arggh.

JB,

Eastleigh has changed but a little from the snaps you showed. There are few new shopping malls, impressive I can say and alot of lodgings. With the trouble in Somalia our brethren need housing. Thanks to them it brought competition, the standard of the hotels/lodging h as improved. Stayed at hotel Xiddig, it was good though a bit expensive.

raula   

Paragon, if you are heading towards NE side of Kenya i suggest you carry some wash cloths and perhaps couple of SAFARI phone cards, and some shorts coz u never know when the driver/makanga's/busboy will ask you for assistance in pushing the bus off the muddy roads. Watch out for the Mosquitoe's past GARISSA towards WAJER. I would say act like one of them (or some sort of kenyan) coz if the cops (once u reach those sides-past THIKA region towards GARISSA and beyond they service them with the KENYAN JESHI-MILITARY and they are the most rude you will come across). Carry your passport and if possible take maybe a cousin that speaks very good swahili..otherwise you have no chance of just getting thru' with your documents even if you are "PRINCE WILLIAM" icon_razz.gif

Last but not least, Carry couple of water bottles once you get to a nearby city-coz you might be stuck for days without water to even wash yourself of drink.

As of Esich-hehehehehehehehe...NGAI FAFA-na hiyo ni maendereo ;)

QL-tafadhali say hi tu akina Khadijo, if you see khadijo they will take you to Qali's place and pass my regards to Ruun (they own a shop in Esich). by the way they are all connected somehow unlike us (wasee wa marekani and europe). Say hi to akina HAASHIM and the rest of the family.

PS: PARAGON, if you happen to stop by MANDERA, check out the houses, they are got some designs you wont believe and the first mosque of MANDERA is picturesque.

Enjoy your trips, and be safe.

Ma'salama