Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

East Africa travellers

Paragon enjoy your vacaton adeer. Mombasa is like Kismayo in many ways; bad, berri, iyo beero isku meel kuwada yaal! Check for me if NewPeople’s hotel is still in operation. I heard maryooley own a lot of business in the city now, especially transportation and lodging.

If you get the time, try to put a report together like sister Rahima did awhile back when she come back from Xamar…

Originally posted by xiinfaniin:

Paragon enjoy your vacaton adeer. Mombasa is like Kismayo in many ways; bad, berri, iyo beero isku meel kuwada yaal! Check for me if NewPeople’s hotel is still in operation. I heard maryooley own a lot of business in the city now, especially transportation and lodging.

If you get the time, try to put a report together like sister Rahima did awhile back when she come back from Xamar…

War Xiin illeen Mombasa waad joogtay? Utango or were you one of those Macawis clad muqalasiin selling risboonsar iyo telephonada shaqalka ?

Misna sarifleey baad ahayd yaa niyow,Maxaa New People's lodge kudhigay? :D

LOL!

^^^Miskiin baan ahaa adeer those days :D . From Showground to Utonge to Bambuuri, then off to Eastlight, in which i swum its waryaa-smelling dirt and ate its dust :D ! In total, I spent half a decade in Kenya. I loved it. I've been to Dar asalaam, and I found Kenyans to be the most civil and reer magaal in that region. Forget about its corrupt police officers and the occasional inconveniences, and you would find Kenya as the country that not hosted Somalis but accommodated them and adopted them.

Few years back I visited Nairobi and it was amazing how Somalis dominated in the business circles in that short span of time. Eastlight, or islii as Somalis calls it, seemed to be where Somali entrepreneurial magic produced its wonders; the hotels, the bazaars, ala Somali style, the restaurants, the Xawaala buildings, and the Internet cafes are places where Somalis run with their never dying spirit of renewal…only if that same peculiarly positive attitude is transferred [edit] to replace the negative tribalism that ruined their homeland!

Viking   

Paragon,

Why are you going around like a tourist? Get on the matatus and feel the pulse of the town.

PS: Don't forget to get me some xalwa from Malindi, a few kilos would do! :D

Elysian,

Det var visst lange sedan! Allt ar val med mig gumman! I do wish I was in Mombasa, it is a place where "kuingia arusi kutoka matanga".

F Brown,

Bottled madafu wouldn't be the same would it? Has to be str8 from the shell. I miss all the fresh fruit juices man! Smoothies from the supermarket just aren't good enuf!

Viking   

Originally posted by xiinfaniin:

Few years back I visited Nairobi and it was amazing how Somalis dominated in the business circles in that short span of time. Eastlight, or islii as Somalis calls it, seemed to be where Somali entrepreneurial magic produced its wonders; the hotels, the bazaars, ala Somali style, the restaurants, the Xawaala buildings, and the Internet cafes are places where Somalis run with their never dying spirit of renewal…only if that same peculiarly positive attitude is transferred [edit] to replace the negative tribalism that ruined their homeland!

Adeer xiin,

In Eastleigh one sees Somali entrepreneurship at its best! Unfortunately, just a few streets down, you also see the new lows Somalis have reached; from prostitution, begging, drug addiction, alcoholism etc.

Paragon   

^^Viking , lol yup! Malindi Xalwa has long been praised. But it just doesn't beat Kismaayo Xalwo with a bit of loos . Insha-allah, will get some sweets from the Pwani to share with you guys in London. Insha-Allh, I am looking forward to Lamu and Kilifi. Will see how they turn out to be. Check this:

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa148/Jamaal11_bucket/DSCF0455-1.jpg

PS: I travel in Matatus in Nairobi and Tuktuk in Mombasa. So yeah, I am feeling the vibe and I am enjoying it. As usual, Kenyans are welcoming, civil and extremely comedic. Just one time while travelling between Nairobi and Voi, the bus stopped for two Somalis to get off. One of the younger men lost is Ul and it took him ages to find it. The passengers, two of them Kalenjin, were astounded upon learning that the wariyah has keep the bus waiting for a mere stick! What came out of one Kalenjin was: ay! Si ange rokota moja huko kishakani!. All the passengers (mostly Somali) burst into rupture of laughters. From then on it was a jovial comedic exchanges between the Somalis and the Kelenjin men. Hilarious.

Xiin adeer, NewPeople is still operational. Actually I used to travel from Docks just to enjoy the scene of Somalis going about their business. It is endearing to be an observer of business activities and transportation dealings involving high-voiced macawuus clad Somali men going about their shouty-communication. It is really a beautiful feeling seeing Somalis in business especially that of transportation. As you know, there is also the famous Markiti, which is Mombasa's version of Garissa Lodge. I was impressed by Crown Bus Services own by a Somali. It might be a bit expensive for some but their management is really professional. They even distribute mineral water made especifically for the Crown Bus Services- on which the bottles give you on the W.H.O considers to be 'Oxyrich' smile.gif . To board the bus, one must produce an identity card and just before boarding there is a metal detector used to ensure that the passenger's safety is paramount. Their seats are well-spaced and comfortable. On top of these, they have receptions with good seating where people sit, pray and use the bathrooms if need be.

After using their services for several times, I couldn't help but feel excited that it might be from Africa that Somali skills in business management and administration will be inovated and might soon influence others abroad. Crown Bus Services is only a case in point, but there are many things that have impressed me here about Somalis. Similarly, there have been things that have depressed me in Nairobi (Eastleigh) than in Mombasa. Will tell you about it later.

Vikings, welcome back old man! I do agree with you that the Somali settlement in East-light has negative aspects to it. But the negativity you cited is not unique to that community in Eastlight. In fact, in North America we have daring strip dancers, crazed qad merchants, spies, abandoned teens (I once worked with some youth orgs and you cant even begin to imagine how our youth are impacted), and the cultural phenomenon of the single moms! Europe has its ills as well. But the ones in Kenya are respected and people look up to them, instead of looking down on them---that’s what I was trying to point out…

Paragonow, Somalis made great strides in Kenya’s transportation sector. I heard they now own most respectable bus lanes between Nairobi and Coast. In my days Malindi Bus was neat and trendy---how is it doing now?

Ps---are you on your way to Kisamayo? Si baad usii dhadhawaanaysaaye :D .

N.O.R.F   

Paragon

Thanks for the ics saxib. Glad your enjoying your time. Sounds as though you are considering staying there.

Paragon   

^^North, thanks sxbow. Not this time bro. I am not staying here longer than necessary this time. I have some stuff to sort out in the UK before I can make myself at home here, which is something I hope to do in the near future.

Xiinoow waa runtaa. Somalis have made great strides in the sector you have mentioned. To be quite honest, they have even become a source of employment for a great number of Kenyas who prefer Somalis to their former Indian boses. As fellow African employers, Somalis have come to be known as being less disdainfully in comparison to their Indian counterparts. Somalis being Somalis and always at a hurry, usually jump to the help of their Kenyan employees-something indicative of the Somali employers empathy toward his fellow African.

Furthermore, as a tuktuk driver told me, while in the past he could never dream of wearing jeans due to their high prices in the high street(dominated by Asians from the Indian sub-continent), now, Somalis have made him a happy man by importing alternatively affordable clothing and commodities. And this act of Somali importation is thusly appreciated by many middle and low income Kenyans. Stories such as this are plenty and inspirational. Knowing how disdained Somalis are abroad, I couldn't help but feel humbled.

PS: Sxb- it is not that the thought hasn't crossed by mind. It did but as you know meeshii Kismaayo ahayd qeylo ayaa ka taagan. I spent nights in Mombasa thinking how good it would have felt I spent these nights in my own Kismaayo! It is heart-breaking not to have a secure homeland sxb, especially when you have travelled from far and have come so close to it. I am at pains with the fact that I can lay my feet on the beloved soil of Somalia. Shame, really.

Paragon   

Originally posted by Rahima:

You’re making me jealous paragon
:(
- God I miss Africa.

Enjoy your holiday mate
smile.gif

Rahima, sorry sister. Didn't see your post. Meeshan Africa marka la joogo there are too many things going on. Seems like the materialization of the theory of organized chaos. But its what makes one feel right at home.

It is not so bad for you, Rahima. You've been to Xamar just a while ago. I am sure that compensates for all your longing now smile.gif .

Will try to enjoy myself mate (forgot you aussies are fond of the word mate ;) )

Well Paragon looks like you have arrived atlast. I can just imagine you seated near a window taking pictures of the roads and anything that walks on two and fours. Ah well hope you are feeling the vibes, smell and fresh air. Im on my way Inshallah cometh tenth of June though I must admit flying isnt something I always looked forward to hence the length of time I have been grounded in this island.

Northener:- if you are anywhere in Dubai on Thursday or Friday let me know so we can hook up for some shiisha:)

NGONGE   

^^ So you finally managed to make it out of London? :D

Have a good time, saaxib. You truly deserve the break.

ps

North is not allowed to smoke shiisha. Doctor's orders :D

Rahima   

Paragon,

Xamar was nice, now laakiin I’d rather roam elsewhere- I don’t think that I can handle occupation :( .

Anyhow, these days waxaan u dhaarsanahay Mombasa and Malindi- I have had it rammed down my throat for a few years and now I’m finally sold on the idea, possibly a second home ;) . I have to be back in Africa, as much as i love it in Australia, unltimately i am african and need to get back home, that's the way that i see it.

PS: Sxb- it is not that the thought hasn't crossed by mind. It did but as you know meeshii Kismaayo ahayd qeylo ayaa ka taagan. I spent nights in Mombasa thinking how good it would have felt I spent these nights in my own Kismaayo! It is heart-breaking not to have a secure homeland sxb, especially when you have travelled from far and have come so close to it. I am at pains with the fact that I can lay my feet on the beloved soil of Somalia. Shame, really.

I have a good friend who was in the same debacle a little while back, couldn’t make it to Kismaayo but there was no way he was going to go half-way across the world without setting foot on his beloved Somalia, so he travelled to Afmadow. I don’t know how the situation is there now, laakiin then it was go-able if you blended in with the crowd, instead of flashing the pound ;) . And leave the passport.

Northener:- if you are anywhere in Dubai on Thursday or Friday let me know so we can hook up for some shiisha:)

:eek:

N.O.R.F   

^^Maxaa dacay?

QL, give me a call saxib (check your pm) i'll show you around the new Dubai. Its a tad warm (41 degrees yesterday) so be prepared (dont worry the car has AC)

North is not allowed to smoke shiisha. Doctor's orders

Saxib, I have managed to steer clear of it (for the most part) but a nomad visiting is an exception :D

Talking of East Africa Ngonge, have you decided on that trip to Burco yet? There is quite a few of us going.

Paragon, I assume your looking into the ease of setting things up in Kenya. Never been there but by all accounts its an idealic place. Sun, sea and mangos if a decent opportunity comes about.