Sign in to follow this  
Cabdow

Winnipeg mom charged with stabbing kids!

Cabdow   

tp-babykennedy2.jpg

A woman is taken into custody at the scene of Thursday's stabbings.

A Winnipeg woman has been charged with three counts of attempted murder after her two young sons — a nine-year-old and a four-month-old — and her sister were stabbed.

The children were taken to hospital in critical condition Thursday with wounds to their upper bodies but have since been upgraded to stable, police said.

The mother's 32-year-old sister was also stabbed as she tried to intervene, but was released from hospital after treatment. The sister's four-month-old daughter was not injured, said Const. Jason Michalyshen.

The nine-year-old boy fled the suite in a downtown housing complex after being injured and notified security at the apartment, who then contacted emergency services, police said.

The 35-year-old mother was arrested shortly after the incident, which happened around 5:30 p.m. Thursday at a downtown housing complex at 355 Kennedy St.

Neighbours told CBC News the family had moved to Winnipeg from Somalia about five years ago.

The woman has also been charged with assault with a weapon and assault. She is in custody at the Provincial Remand Centre.

The children have been placed in the care of the provincial government's Child and Family Services agency.

Mental illness suspected

A close family friend believes the accused woman, who speaks little English, has been suffering from mental illness.

"I believe she was depressed. I am not a medical professional to diagnose but she wasn't herself lately," said Abdi Rizak Adam, vice-president of the Manitoba Somali Association."She was withdrawn. Kind of upset about everything."

Adam said the woman was anxious about trying to bring her husband to Winnipeg from a refugee camp in Ethiopia. She knew she would have to work full-time to sponsor him but she didn't want to leave her children alone.

Immigrants face challenges

People who work with newcomers say there can be stressful challenges for people who come to Canada.

There can be a sense of isolation for people because of language and cultural differences, said Noelle De Pape, executive director of the Immigrant and Refugee Community Organization of Manitoba, which offers transitional housing and social services to new Canadians.

While there are many support programs available, people need to be made aware of them and take advantage, she said.

People who have gone through refugee camps may not know how to access help, she added.

"We end up dealing with many issues that are at a crisis point with very expensive front-line services like police and hospital, but we need to focus on prevention and supporting families and their children," De Pape said.

She also noted the location of Thursday's stabbing "is right in the heart of … the newcomer service community, near Central Park."

CBC News!

----------------------

Wax laga naxo waaye Wallahi, Allaha caafiyo oo umuuraha u sahlo maamada iyo caruurtaba!!

BOB   

Inna Lillahi Wa Inna Ileyhi Raajicuun...Such stories break my heart!

Dadkeenii ma sidaan baa u dambeysay? Subhanah-Allah...Allow nagasoo gaar sidan.

Peace, Love & Unity.

Kool_Kat   

Mental illness is increasing at an alarming rate amongts Somalis...Walahi, everyday I go to Weston/Lawrence area in Toronto, my heart just breaks seeing Somalida laamiga taagan oo kaligood isla hadlaayo, kuwo balwad ka tabarbadisay, even one selling her body just to get her next hit...The most shocking was when my younger brother told me that one day while eating at a fastfood joint in the area, the same lady begged them for money...Knowing she was a junkie, they said no...She showed a letter (yellow in color) saying 'walaalayaaloow Aids baan qabaa wax macunin maanta dhan ee wax aan cuno ii gada'!!!

Ilaahay dadkeena dalka iyo dibadaba ha u maciino, aad baan u rafaad san nahay...

The saddest part of it all is how some community centres get fundings from the government claiming to assist these individuals, and always fail to deliver...My sister wanted to put together a meeting/event with the leaders of these community centres and government officials, so such issues can be addressed...Soomaali maxaa ku taqaan hee, nearly qof kasto ey weydiiso support in putting together such an event turned her down...Some even accused her of wanting iney dadkaan qarxiso, ama mushaarkooda ey u aqoonsato!!!

the woman was anxious about trying to bring her husband to Winnipeg from a refugee camp in Ethiopia.

Inaalillaahi ,,,,, ciyaalkaas Ilaaay bay leeyihiin ,,, I hope the will not be taken to the Church ..

Polanyi   

Originally posted by NNC:

Ethiopia uu khat ku ruugooya qashinka fooqal qashinka.

Someone is being a bit hasty, innit? The story says he lives in a refugee camp. Do you know his circumstances? Or is it just another case of, " let's blame the man".

Cawaale   

Originally posted by NNC:

She told police her husband had been using magic on her!

So she thinks that her man(all the way from Africa.)did magic spells on her. That explains why she stabbed the poor kids.

Miskiinkta clearly she was having hallucinations and delusional thinking, which escalated to violence behavior in stabbing the children.

Ilaahay ha u gargaaro, and hope in ay caruurta qaraabo meesha ku leeyihiin.

Aaliyyah   

Inaalillaahi ,,,,, ciyaalkaas Ilaaay bay leeyihiin ,,, I hope the will not be taken to the Church ..

Hopefully those kids will not go to foster homes after all in the article they mentioned her sister was there who had minor injuries after the incident. Inshallah she will raise those kids. If not I am sure or at least I am hoping she has other siblings who can take care of her family...

wa wax laga naxo caruur gaalo qaadato. Inshallah this wont be the case.

NNC how can a guy all the way in Africa does magic on her. It is kind of creepy and hard to believe....I would think way isku buuqday markay ninkedi keeni kari waydey noloshiina ku adkaatay. wa wax macquul ah oo la fahmi karo. Nolosha qurbaha isnt easy caruur kasta labo walid oo u halgama ayeey u bahanyihiin.

And I agree with koolkat too many ladies out there baa isku buuqsan.Ilaahay ha u sahlo dadka I AM SURE raising kids on their own has its effect.

Or is it just another case of, " let's blame the man".

When you see ladies struggling on their own with kids. Is there a doubt but to blame their husbands who left them to raise the kids on their own?? walahi sometimes I am amazed at somali women who raise 7 and 8 kids? maybe half of those kids don't turn out right? but just the fact that they raised them amazes me? sometimes somali women should be given the credit they are due.

But in this case the man is in the refugee camps or so they said in the article. Allahu yaclam.

salaam

Haatu   

^ It can be done. Just a bit of hair or some nail clippings and you'd be surprised at how much can be done.