Sign in to follow this  
SeeKer

Universal Feminist

SeeKer   

Saturday morning, as I was eating my bagel egg sandwich, I discussed feminism with a colleague. Which led me to ask, what really is a feminist and do they all stand for the same thing?

I don't need a dictionary translation of the word but rather the subjective translation of the word. Women around the world take up the cause of feminism for different reasons. While some fight for the right to be equal to men, others fight for rights to their body, others fight for the right to work/not work, others fight for right of political representation, others fight against patriarchal society or even subjugation etc.

There are ecofeminist, womanist, radical feminist, second and third wave feminist, marxist feminist, liberal feminist, muslim feminist etc.

My query: Is there a universal feminist? Do factors like geography, economy, ethics, education, religion etc make it difficult to streamline a proper definition of the word?

BOB   

My definition of Universal Feminism is summed up by this quote "Some of us are becoming the men we wanted to marry" Gloria Steinem

One female classmate once argued that rapists and women killers around the world are an organization created to wipeout the feminism movements...err really?

Peace, Love & Unity.

Hales   

After reading about Swedish feminists and looking into affirmative action, equality definitely doesnt cross my mind.

Feminism has evolved over histry, you could say it was continuety from the suffrage like movements in the west during the early 20th century.

ailamos   

Originally posted by Che -Guevara:

My definition of universal feminist is one that seeks to change all people and not just empower women.

I agree with that notion.

SeeKer   

Che and ailamos, then I would argue that they are no longer feminist but some form of humanist.

BOB Gloria is turning 75 or has turned I am not sure. I had to look up an interview she did back in 2009, where she was asked about Obama, supreme court hearings at the time and feminism.

Q:
What do you think 21st-century feminism looks like?

It looks like you. It looks like each self-respecting women in the 21st century. It's not for me to define; the message of feminism is that each of us, as female human beings, define ourselves. There are some generalities that you can see. It's much more international, I'm happy to say. I think clearly most of the country now understands that women can do what men can do; the problem is that they don't understand that men can do what women can do, which as I was saying, is the reason why women still suffer from having two jobs.

Now, Hales, when you say"Feminism has evolved over histry, you could say it was continuety from the suffrage like movements in the west during the early 20th century." , does that mean that feminism has a Western construct. Can a woman in Africa or Asia conform to the Western idea of what is important to women around the world. Here is the cusp of the issue, the feminist movement isolated a lot of women during its rise, even the so called suffragist. Can all women be seen through a single lens?

That is what chafes me, I don't think there is a universal feminist, perhaps a regional one but not a universal one. How can one speak for a woman who lives in Burco, Soweto, Shandong province or Bangalore for that matter, when we don't know her personal struggle and what is priority for her. The entire premise of feminism is flawed by its assumption that all women want the same thing :rolleyes:

BOB   

Seeker...are you looking to start a feminist movement in SOL now? stori yako ni nini? usione haya...tuambiye yote? icon_razz.gif

Peace, Love & Unity.

Malika   

Isn't the concept of 'feminism' a social constructed one? As a social construct,then it changes with time/society etc.

Thus, perhaps 'Universal Feminist' will be about the universal biological concept of 'women'?

FatB   

"After reading about Swedish feminists" - aah swedish feminist isnt that code for a swedish lesbian fest?

SeeKer   

Blessed.* that was a good read and gave a brief overview of what I was trying to get at.

Malika, interesting starting point. If you don't mind expanding that idea so that I might clearly understand what the biological concept of a woman is. smile.gif

BOB I am not one to start anything and I can't actually be a feminist because..........