Sign in to follow this  
Libaax-Sankataabte

Pictures of Eritrea.

This little country seems to have recovered from the many wars and is now in the forefront of those influencing policy in the Horn. On a personal note, just few encounters I had with Eritrean here in the west, the diaspora seems well educated and very patriotic.

Click Here for pictures

Click Here for more pictures

PS: I just thought I should create a topic on Eritrea (Just pictures) since there is so much talk about Eritrea's support for Somalia's Islamic Courts Union. Many Somalis know little about this small country.

Jabhad   

^Very true. Both Christian and the Muslim Eritreans I met are equally patriotic. You can call it the product of 30 years of struggle for independence.

SeeKer   

Patriotism at its worst shall I say. How many western eriterians who ran away from prosecution did you meet? How many people are not allowed to voice their opinions? What about the freedom of religion?

I met the Eriterians who are patriotic and yet claim no injustice is being committed in their countries but more than that I have met Eriterians who have being terrorized by representatives of their government for critizing the system. Two sides to a coin indeed.

Source   

Wow, I must say, those pictures are amazing. Asmara has the looks of a modern city. :eek:

Most Eritreans I have met (in the west) speaks Arabic. I've yet to hear the language spoken in thier country.

But guess what? I think I've lost count how many of them I spoke Somali to. :D Sometimes they play nice and reply back with the limited somali they all seem to know. smile.gif

LSK....Beautiful pics, but this doesn't make us anymore informative about this country. Do you mind looking into history and struggles of this nation for the benefit of all. Mabybe then we will have a better picture of their involvement in the horn conflicts.

P.S one could still see the Italian influence in their architecture, reminds of xamar caddeey.

ElPunto   

Fantastic pictures of the capital - but then that's generally the way of African countries. Nice capital, crap countryside. It's funny Somalia hosted both leaders of Ethiopia and Eritrea in opposition and now they're using, abusing and manipulating our country like some rag doll. So much for gratefullness.

LSK - why the point about Somalis' lack of knowledge about Eritrea? I for one know all I need to know :D

ElPunto   

Originally posted by Che-Guevara:

LSK....Beautiful pics, but this doesn't make us anymore informative about this country. Do you mind looking into history and struggles of this nation for the benefit of all. Mabybe then we will have a better picture of their involvement in the horn conflicts.

P.S one could still see the Italian influence in their architecture, reminds of xamar caddeey.

Their involvment in Somalia is purely as a counter to Ethiopia and to make life harder for them. They have no other interest in Somalia.

Their history:

Late 1800's - colonization by Italy and set up as separate country

1960s - Independance granted and made a part of Eth

1970s - Dominant group, Tigre, in Eritrea started a campaign for independance because of Amhara domination of the united country

1990s - Independance granted as fellow Tigres gain power in Ethiopia

2003? - War with Ethiopia over a tiny patch of land - hundreds of thousands die; Eritrea disproportionately affected

Post War - Eritrean prez introduces a raft of laws against media and shuts down most independant voices and clamps down in other ways

Yet another example of an independance 'hero' becoming a dictator. Quel surprise!