Sign in to follow this  
KEYNAN22

The name Abdi

KEYNAN22   

Why do somalis name their children "Abdi", don't somalis know the meaning of it? Abdi by its own litteraly means slave, you are suppose to fill it in with something, like abdallah = the slave of allah, or abdrahman etc. But Somalis name their children only Abdi and then after that the surname, no other muslims ever calls themselves just "Abdi" since this means you're just a slave. Alot of arabs laugh at somalis when they present themselves like that and they actually think somalis consider themselves as slave descent, but somalis still continue to name their son the same, it's really embarrasing and bad for the somali image, as they say little knowledge is dangerous.

Chimera   

abdi-qani

abdi-fatax

abdi-rizaq

abdi-hamid

abdi-aziz

those are the abdi's i know

never met a brother with the name ''abdi'' alone

KEYNAN22   

Originally posted by Dhulqarnayn -alSumaale:

abdi-qani

abdi-fatax

abdi-rizaq

abdi-hamid

abdi-aziz

those are the abdi's i know

never met a brother with the name ''abdi'' alone

Com'n then you havent met many somalis, there are thousands of somalis who are just named abdi. Atleast they present themselves as just abdi.

underdog   

Atleast they present themselves as just abdi

That they do. and there's reasons for that. People outside the Arabic speaking/understanding/culturally-linked world sometime have difficulties pronouncing the name the correct way. so for the sake of simplicity Abdi is expectable.

On the other hand I know of more than few (especially Pakistani) people who drop the 'Abd' part and stick with names such as Rahim,Salam and Aziz.

I think that might be more disturbing that having Abdi by itself.

Baluug   

Arabs do the same thing, with the name "Abdul". They shorten their names to simply Abdul from say, Abdul-Rahim, so their name would actually say "slave of". Slave of what?

Poster, which one ticks you off more, Your farax brothers introducing themselves to others as Abdi's and leaving the 2nd part of their name out?

or

Are you more ticked off about your onion loving arab brothers that are calling your brothers from different mother slaves?(Hence the name abdi)

Seriously, I have never come across somalis with just the name abdi, but I did come across few of them shortening their name and introducing themselves as just ABDI.

Someone said it previously, its easier at times to just go with an easy nick of your name. These gaalo's that we come across on our everyday life, just can't pronounce our name correctly, nor can we except them to get it right the first time.

You literally have to spend 2-3minutes with a gaalo person to try and make them pronounce your name the correct way.

Gaalo Person says: Nice to meet you Abdisasla?

Faarax says:No, its Cabdul-casiis.

Gaalo Person says: abdibasta?

Faarax says:No, abdi-aziiz, but nevermind, I understand its difficult for you to prounce it, lets just forget it, ok?

Gaalo person says: No abdibastas, I want to get it right, because I don't want to offend you, why dont you teach me how to say it properly?

faarax says:Ok, just call be ABDI. (BY NOW FARAX IS CLOSE TO BORDER-LINE AND WANTS TO GRAB THIS GAALO'S NECK AND JUST SQUEEZE THE LIFE OUT OF THEM)

Gaalo person says: OK OK, I THINK I GOT IT. AAAAABTIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT

Faarax says: No, its abdi "AAAAABDIIIIIIII" as in with d at the end not t.

Gaalo: says, ooh, I finally got it, yay. I'm going to go tell kelly that I finally pronounced this beautiful name the correct way. OMG, this is so wonderful AAAABtIIT.(Off she goes talking about it to half the floor about how she pronounced that exotic name the correct way, when infact she hasn't.)

ANyways, getting back to the topic.

I shorten my name as well, only because my pple are used to calling my name out a certain way. No it doesn't make it right nor wrong, but I'm comfortable with a short name. I got so use to it that I started introducing my name as ""yariisey", aka yarta (etc) my name isnt really yariisey, just using it as an example.

My point here is, pple can introduce their name however way they see fit. If Arabs laugh at them behind their back and u sit there and allow it, the fault lies with u not the ignorant arab.

PS:I must be losing it today.

Dhubad.   

lool@Lazy (I have shorten your name by the way). Well I have never met a Somali brother with name Abdi, its alwazy Abdullahi, Abdulqadir, Abdirahman etc but as Lazy put it they tend to shorten it to make it simple.

My surname is Abdirahman but I call myself Abdi to make it easier for others to pronounce that is all.

Abyan   

lol ,It says Abdi Ali on my brother´s passport. School certificate and everything, even his driver´s license.

Due to my mom not being able to speak the language of the country(there was a communication problem)when we first arrived. My brother´s name is Abdirahman they probably thought Rahman was his middle name Ali being his surname. I dont know , lol

Beerlula   

Alot of arabs laugh at somalis when they present themselves like that and they actually think somalis consider themselves as slave descent,

:rolleyes: and why should Somalis care what a bunch of dumb A-- arabs think?????????

NGONGE   

** pushe glasses back **

Abdi does not mean 'slave', it actually means 'my slave'. It's not much of a big deal really. No point being a pedant about things!

Arabs would also shorten some of these names and say 'Abood', 'Aboody' and 'Abed'. In addition, using names like Raheem, Hakeem or Aziiz is not a problem. One can be called wise but only ONE is the all wise. One can be called merciful but only ONE is THE merciful, etc...

KEYNAN22   

Abdi does not mean 'slave', it actually means 'my slave'. It's not much of a big deal really. No point being a pedant about things!

That's even worse, so every time someone says "abdi come here" they actually say "my slave come here"? :D Thank god i don't have that name.